Time to Cook35 minutes
Time to Prepare20 minutes
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
Our Tomato and Corn Galette pairs our favourite late-summer veggies with creamy goat cheese and wraps it all in light, flaky pastry.
Goat Cheese Filling
- 150g soft un-ripened goat cheese
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, sliced thin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and oil reserved
- 1.5 cups grape tomato halves (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 unbaked pie shell (or try our Perfect Pie Pastry recipe)
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (or 1/2 cup thawed from frozen) (see note)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Flaky sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F convection, or 425°F conventional.
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, cut basil, 1 large egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, toss the reserved oil from the sun-dried tomatoes (keeping the sun-dried tomatoes aside) with the cut grape tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Heat a 10-inch non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add this tomato mixture to the pan and cook until most of the moisture in the pan is gone, approximately 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer this tomato mixture from the pan back to the bowl and set aside.
- Roll the pie pastry to an approximate 12-to-13-inch diameter and transfer to a baking sheet. Carefully spread the reserved goat cheese mixture (from step 2) in the center of the pastry round, while leaving about 1.5 inches of pastry all around the edge uncovered.
- Arrange the corn kernels and reserved sliced sun-dried tomatoes on this goat cheese mixture, and then spoon on the reserved cooked tomato mixture (from step 3).
- Fold up the edges of the pastry over just the edge of the tomatoes, pleating the pastry as necessary (for presentation). Beat 1 large egg with 2 teaspoons of milk and brush this egg wash over the folded edge of the pastry (reserve the leftover egg wash for another application such as an omelet, scrambled eggs, etc.). Sprinkle the pastry and tomatoes with the grated cheese, flaky sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes until the pastry is golden brown on the edges and underneath.
- Let cool to almost room temperature before cutting into wedges and serving.
Corn – Reserve a few corn kernels to scatter on top of your Galette as a finishing garnish.
Pastry – Looking for a great pastry recipe to make your galette dough from scratch? Try our Perfect Pie Pastry!