Time to Cook22 minutes
Time to Prepare10 minutes
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
“Orange fleshed sweet potatoes are packed full of nutrition just like BC Eggs! Pairing them together with smoked gouda and sweet smoked paprika makes this dish extra delicious.” Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
For this recipe, we recommend the lovely orange fleshed sweet potatoes. These are often labelled as yams, but are actually just a variation of sweet potato, which come in white, orange and purple variations. Any variety will work for this recipe, but we love the added beta-carotene punch and the visual appeal of the orange version.
- 2 large orange sweet potatoes, approximately 800g each, baked and cooled
- 10 fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained
- 1/2 cup finely grated smoked gouda, divided into 2 parts
- 4 large BC eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 Celsius).
- Cut the cold sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the centers, leaving approximately a 1/2-inch border of sweet potato around the edges and bottoms. Be careful not to scoop all the way down to the skin otherwise your potato will not hold the egg mixture like a vessel. Placed them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In each of the 4 prepared halves, divide and sprinkle equal amounts of the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and 1/4 cup of the smoked gouda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper thoroughly together.
- Carefully ladle this egg mixture into the prepared halves of sweet potato.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup smoked gouda over the filled halves.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the egg mixture has set.
- Turn the oven to broil, and place under the broiler until just browned a bit, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 to 20 minutes before serving.