Time to Cook15 minutes
Time to Prepare15 minutes
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
Believe it or not, French toast doesn’t have to be sweet! This savoury version from Chef Dez is packed full of warm, comforting flavours and is broiled with cheese – what’s not to love?
- 8 large BC eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.25 cups grated smoked gouda, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, minced, approximately 2.5 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices French bread, about 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Smoked paprika for sprinkling
- Salt & pepper
- Washed mixed greens for plating, optional
- Japanese mayonnaise & sriracha, for garnish, optional (see note)
- Beat 4 of the eggs thoroughly in a mixing bowl with the milk. Mix in 1/4 cup of the gouda along with the sage, rosemary, garlic, shallot, 1.5 teaspoons salt, dry mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Transfer this to a shallow dish (like a 9×13 cake pan).
- Soak both sides of the bread slices in the mixture until most of the liquid is absorbed, approximately 1 minute per side. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to melt.
- Fry the bread slices on one side until nicely browned, approximately 3 minutes. While frying on this first side, spoon the remaining batter ingredients equally over the exposed top uncooked sides of the bread.
- Carefully flip the bread slices over and cook the other side until nicely browned as well, approximately 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a cutting board.
- Set your oven to broil and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut each cooked slice of bread in half on a 45-degree angle. Place the cut slices on the prepared baking sheet and top equally with the remaining 1 cup gouda. Lightly sprinkle with smoked paprika. Broil until the cheese has melted.
- Fry the remaining 4 eggs to your liking and season with salt & pepper.
- Plate each of the 4 portions as follows: Handful of mixed greens, 2 cut pieces of French toast (you have 8 pieces total to plate), 1 fried egg, and then drizzles of mayonnaise and sriracha. Serve immediately.
Mayonnaise and Sriracha – If you don’t have Japanese mayo, feel free to substitute regular mayo. If you’re not a fan of sriracha, you can substitute a different hot sauce, or swap in ketchup for a sweeter, less spicy option.