Time to Cook35 minutes
Time to Prepare20 minutes
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
Serve brunch to a crowd with this breakfast-bake version of a classic sandwich. An added bonus – this recipe can be prepared the night before, so all you have to do in the morning is turn the oven on, and bake!
Watch as Chef Dez shows you how it’s done!
- 12 slices of sandwich bread
- 300g ham slices
- 300g Swiss or Emmentaler cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 to 16 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Prepare a 9×13 oven safe dish with baking spray or butter.
- Arrange 6 slices of the bread in the oven safe dish.
- Top evenly with the ham, then 200g of the cheese, the chopped onion, and the next 6 slices of bread.
- In a bowl, mix thoroughly together the eggs, milk, Worcestershire, mustard, salt, and Tabasco. Pour this mixture over the bread, ham, and cheese in the dish, and then sprinkle evenly with the pepper.
- Top with the remaining 100g of grated cheese. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, up to 12 hours, for the bread to soak up the egg mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the cover from the dish and bake uncovered for approximately 35 to 40 minutes until the egg has cooked through and the top has browned. Let stand for 5 minutes, garnish with parsley if desired and serve.