Time to Cook5 minutes
Time to Prepare5 minutes
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
Traditionally made with Marsala wine, our version is brightly citrus with limoncello and fresh lemon juice. This recipe makes four small portions. For larger servings or for more portions, you’ll want to double the recipe.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup limoncello liqueur
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Fresh berries for serving (optional)
- Bring 2 or 3 inches of water to a boil in a medium sized pot.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks in a medium sized stainless steel mixing bowl along with the sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisk vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is thick and pale yellow in colour. Then vigorously whisk in the lemon liqueur and the lemon juice until thoroughly combined.
- Reduce the heat to bring the boiling water down to a simmer and place the bowl on top of this pot. Make sure that the bowl does not touch the water (we want the steam to gently and slowly cook this mixture). Whisk constantly over this simmering water until the mixture reaches a temperature of 145°F to 150°F and it turns very thick and frothy.
- Remove from the heat and spoon into small dessert dishes and serve warm or cool slightly to room temperature and serve with the optional fresh berries.
Serve with any fresh seasonal fruit, make into parfaits, or enjoy this dish on its own as-is – the choice is yours!
Looking for ways to use up the leftover egg whites? Try our Angel Food Cake or our Toffee Meringue Kisses.