Time to Cook30 minutes
Time to Prepare20 minutes
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
This lovely tart makes a wonderful appetizer or a great light lunch.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/4 cup oil packed sliced sun-dried tomatoes, drained, tomatoes & oil reserved separately
- Salt & pepper
- 454 g (1 pound) package thawed puff pastry, chilled
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons soft un-ripened goat cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 small dried dark figs, quartered
- Handful of fresh arugula greens
- Handful of grape tomatoes, sliced into circles
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of balsamic glaze (from above)
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Put the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to cook uncovered until reduced to half the volume (1/4 cup), approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (400°F convection) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips. Brush these strips with the reserved oil from the sundried tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Grill these strips over a medium-high flame, or a medium hot grill pan, until grill marks appear. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the thawed puff pastry from the fridge. Using a minimal amount of flour, roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle approximately 11 by 16 inches, about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and make an edge by folding over 3/4 inch of the pastry around all 4 sides. Using a fork, dock the pastry (not the edges though, just the inside part) about every inch.
- Beat 1 of the eggs. Using a pastry brush, brush the formed edges of the pastry until coated, and then put the leftover part of this beaten egg in a mixing bowl. To that mixing bowl add the other egg, sour cream, 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese, basil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix thoroughly until combined. Pour this mixture onto the docked pastry keeping inside the formed edges.
- Arrange the prepared zucchini slices and reserved sun-dried tomato slices on the egg/sour cream filling. Bake until the pastry is puffed up and golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top of the cooked/cooled tart with the quartered figs, the remaining 3 tablespoons of crumbled goat cheese, arugula greens, and grape tomato slices. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the balsamic glaze over the tart along with many grinds of fresh cracked pepper.
- Cut into 12 portions and serve immediately.