Time to Cook30 minutes
Time to Prepare15 minutes
This hearty breakfast bowl has some great local ingredients and can be easily customized to your personal tastes. It can also be scaled up to feed more people, or left as a very generous single serving meal, as you choose.
Watch BC egg farmer Dave Hiebert prepare his Farmer’s Breakfast Bowl on Global TV’s “Saturday Morning Chef” segment here!
- 2 medium Red or yellow potatoes (waxier potatoes are better choices here than starchier russets)
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil (divided)
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup Grated Havarti, Gouda, or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large Button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp – ¼ cup (or more, as you like!) Creamy Mediterranean or Greek dressing (eg: Rendezvous brand)
- ¼ – ½ tsp Chili pepper flakes
- ½ tsp Roasted garlic and red pepper seasoning (eg: Tajin, Club House, or other similar blend)
- Salt & pepper
- 2-3 Fresh local BC eggs
- Local BC farmer sausage (See Notes)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix together: garlic powder, onion salt, Italian seasoning and 1 tsp salt. Set aside.
- Cut potatoes into wedges and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil to coat.
- Toss potatoes with ¼ cup cheese till coated, then place on pan lined with parchment paper (space potatoes evenly, not too tight). Season with the garlic and Italian spice blend created in step two.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 min until fork tender.
- While the potatoes are baking, preheat a frying pan and cut the mushrooms into large, thick slices.
- Add butter, Mediterranean dressing (lots is good!) and mushrooms to the pan and fry.
- Sprinkle chili flakes and the roasted garlic & red pepper seasoning over the mushrooms and when they are deep golden and crispy, flip. Try not to crowd the pan, as you’ll get crispier mushrooms if they have more room to fry.
- In a separate pan, slice and fry the farmer sausage till golden.
- When the potatoes and the mushrooms are done, and the sausage is cooked through remove the sausage from the pan (or use a fresh pan), add a bit of oil or butter and fry the eggs. Check our website for tips on the perfect fried egg, whether you prefer sunny side up, over easy, or well done.
- Assemble by placing the roasted potatoes in the bowl, and add the remaining grated cheese. Top with the mushrooms and farmer sausage. Add the eggs, season with salt and pepper as desired, and enjoy!
- There are some great local options for local farmer sausage: Rempel Meats or Lepp if you’re in the Fraser Valley, Helmut’s or Oyama Sausage Co. if you’re in the Okanagan, or the Sausage Factory if you’re further north in the Smither’s area. Check out your local market or farmer’s market to source a great variety that’s close to you!