Time to Cook15 minutes
Time to Prepare20 minutes
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
This power bowl fills the hunger gap with powerful nutrients! Blueberries play a key role in this recipe, balancing the dressing with their sweetness. We’ve aimed to keep this dish as healthy as possible, but feel free to sub in extra virgin olive oil and regular apple cider vinegar if you like.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry quinoa (white, red, or black, or a combination totaling 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 baby sweet red peppers, sliced (or 2 cups chopped red bell peppers)
- 540 ml can chickpeas, drained, and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 40 grape tomatoes
- 4 mini cucumbers, sliced (or 2 cups sliced cucumbers)
- 4 large, hard-boiled eggs, peeled (sliced in halves or chopped) (Need tips on the perfect hard-boiled eggs? Check out our “Cooking Eggs 101” page!)
- Handful of fresh baby spinach leaves, sliced thin
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or thawed, drained from frozen)
- Kosher salt (or other pure finishing salt), to season
- Fresh cracked pepper, to season
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin avocado oil
- 1/4 cup raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard (seed mustard)
- Put 2 cups vegetable broth, 1 cup quinoa, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn down to medium-low heat and cook uncovered until all the broth is gone, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and chill or keep at room temperature.
- In 4 large diameter shallow bowls, arrange equal amounts of the following in each of the 4 bowls starting with the quinoa and working clockwise: cooked quinoa, sweet red peppers, chickpeas, cabbage, grape tomatoes, and cucumbers. The bottom of the bowl should be completely covered with these ingredients.
- Arrange the following ingredients in equal amounts on top of the ingredients from step 2: eggs, spinach, red onion, walnuts, blueberries, kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper.
- Combine the dressing ingredients (extra virgin avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard) together thoroughly. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of this dressing on each portion.
Makes 4 large portions (818 calories each), or 6 smaller portions (546 calories each)