Time to Cook15 minutes
Time to Prepare15 minutes
This African inspired dish called Chipsi Mayai is essentially an omelette with peppers, tomatoes, and French fries! While you can make your own French fries fresh for this recipe, feel free to use oven fries or even leftover take-out fries!
While you can absolutely deep fry your own, you can also used baked fries, or take-out fries instead! To make your own French fries you’ll need:
- 2 medium potatoes
- Oil for deep-frying
- Salt, to taste
- Wash and cut the potatoes into thin or slightly thicker French fries. Soak in cold water until ready to fry.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat cooking oil to about 350°F (180°C).
- Remove potatoes from cold water, and pat dry.
- In batches, carefully fry the potatoes in the hot oil until golden, crispy, and cooked throughout. This will take about 5 to 7 minutes depending on the thickness of the fries.
- Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Season the hot fries with salt to taste and set aside until ready to use.