Why not have tacos for breakfast? These combine creamy beans spiced witha bit of chorizo, topped with salsa, eggs and cheese. You can add avocado or whatever other fresh toppings you like, or just eat it as is. Breakfast tacos are a fun breakfast that can be customized for each family member and are really quick to make as they are a one pan operation!
- 8 corn tortilla shells
- 8 oz (1/2 of a 19 oz can) of white kidney beans
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- few grinds of cracked black pepper
- 125 grams of dry chorizo sausage
- 1/2 lime
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup salsa
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
1. In a large non stick pan, saute the chorizo sausage with a bit of oil over medium low heat until it becomes a bit browned. Add the green onion and garlic, stirring and tossing until the garlic softens and becomes a bit fragrant. You need to watch it carefully so that it doesn’t burn. Add the beans and continue to toss and saute while they heat up and become drier. Sprinkle in the chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring,for another minute. Remove from the heat and squeeze the juice from 1/2 lime over top.
2. When the beans are ready, remove from the pan to a bowl and set aside. Wipe the pan out with a piece of paper towel.
3. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat them well with the milk. Add a small amount of salt and pepper. Using the same pan that you made the beans, cook your eggs. Scramble them on low heat, stirring as they cook so you end up with moist curds. When the eggs are done, remove the pan from the heat.
4. To assemble the tacos, spoon about 2 – 3 tbsp beans and chorizo into the bottom of a taco shell. Top with about 2 tsp of your favourite salsa, then some of the eggs, a bit of cheese, and garnish with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.