Time to Cook35 minutes
Time to Prepare15 minutes
For an extra easy morning, put this casserole together the night before, wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight. Then, pop it in the oven in the morning and enjoy!
- 4-6 slices bread, crusts trimmed, cut into quarters
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms, browned
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (125 mL) frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- Spray 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan with cooking spray (a 7×11″ pan works well too). Arrange bread slices in pan, overlapping slightly.
- Cook bacon in a pan over medium to medium-high heat until crisp. Remove the cooked bacon with a slotted spoon and sprinkle evenly over the bread in the pan, along with 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan with the bacon fat and cook until browned. Remove the cooked mushrooms with a slotted spoon and sprinkle evenly over the bread, bacon, and cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk and salt together. Pour mixture over bread slices and toppings.
- Add the thawed hash browns to the pan with the bacon fat, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook until just starting to brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and sprinkle evenly over the prepared dish along with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Season with pepper and wrap the dish with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a few hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Remove and discard the plastic wrap.
- Bake until browned on top and an inserted knife in the centre comes out clean, approximately 35 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting into 6 portions and serving.
To lighten up this recipe, you can substitute part-skim milk, turkey bacon, and light cheddar cheese. Assembly and baking time will remain the same.