Time to Cook20 minutes
Time to Prepare20 minutes
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Chef Dez, Corporate Chef for BC Egg
The name of this soup is Avgolemono from the Greek names of the ingredients: eggs (avgo) and lemon juice (lemoni).
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large BC eggs
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (approximately 4-5 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Reserved zest from lemons
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan or pot over high heat, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Stir in the rice and the salt. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- About 5 minutes before the rice is done cooking in the broth, beat the yolks together in a small bowl, while in a large separate bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks have formed. Slowly beat the mixed yolks into the whites. Then gradually beat the lemon juice into this egg mixture.
- Gradually add 2 cups of the hot broth/rice mixture into the egg/juice mixture while whisking continuously. If the hot stock is added too fast, the eggs will curdle, so take your time with this step.
- Once the 2 cups of broth have been added, stir the egg mixture into the large saucepan with the remaining broth/rice. Season with 1 teaspoon of sugar and serve immediately, garnished with the lemon zest and a small amount of chopped parsley.