Time to Cook20 minutes
Time to Prepare20 minutes
Originating in (you guessed it!) Nanaimo, BC these tasty bars take a bit of work to prepare but are absolutely worth the effort! Our version has been handed down through three generations and definitely stands the test of time.
- 1/2 c. Butter
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 5 tbsp Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 1 c. Coconut
- 1/2 c. Walnuts (chopped)
- 2 c. Graham Wafer Crumbs
- 4 tbsp Butter + 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Bird’s Eye Custard Powder
- 2 c. Icing Sugar
- 4 Squares Semi-sweet Baking Chocolate
- Add softened butter, sugar, cocoa and whisked egg to a saucepan and mix. Heat over medium-low heat and mix until smooth and the consistency of custard. Add vanilla and stir well.
- Remove from heat and stir in walnuts, coconut and wafer crumbs.
- Press firmly into a 9×9″ pan and cool completely.
- Cream 4 tsp butter, the milk and the custard powder together with an electric mixer.
- Slowly mix in icing sugar, and cream together.
- Spread over base and allow to harden. (Refrigerate as needed)
- When the icing layer is set, melt 4 squares of chocolate with 2 tbsp of butter. Whisk till smooth.
- Spread chocolate over icing layer and allow to harden.
- Cut into squares or bars and enjoy!
Photo attribution – via Wiki Commons. By Joy – Flickr: Nanaimo Bar, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=13276538