Time to Cook25 minutes
Time to Prepare15 minutes
Farmer approved by Hazelsprings Organics
Recipe developed for BC Egg by Juschka Clarke, BC Egg Farmer
This decadent #FarmerFavourite comes from Juschka, an organic egg farmer in Yarrow. Her Caramel Apple German Pancake serves four (or one!) and pairs wonderfully with our home-made eggnog.
- 1 cup peeled apple slices
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Toss together apple slices, 2 tbsp sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice in a small bowl until apple slices are well coated. Set aside.
- In a large, deep cast iron skillet (10 inch works well), add the butter and put the skillet in the oven until the butter has melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the pan, then layer the apple slices evenly over the pan. Return the pan to the oven.
- While the apples are starting to bake, whisk together the four, remaining sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in the milk until batter is smooth. Then, add eggs one at a time whisking until each is incorporated. Add the vanilla and whisk.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and pour the batter over the apples. Return to the oven as quickly as possible, and bake for 18-25 minutes, or until the centre is set and the sides are golden.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.
Try this recipe with a glass of home-made eggnog! Get the recipe here.